Philippians 3:13-14 Brothers and sisters, I can’t consider myself a winner yet. This is what I do: I don’t look back, I lengthen my stride, and I run straight toward the goal to win the prize that God’s heavenly call offers in Christ Jesus.
I think everybody loves Winnie The Poo, so I wanted to share one of my favorite quotes from him, “I Always Get To Where I Am Going By Walking Away From Where I Have Been ~ Winnie The Poo.” This fictional character is giving us good advise, sort of even biblical I would say.
A lot of women I know are either walking in circles, standing still or pacing back and forth from the present to the past and from the past back to the present, just to keep repeating the process. It could be a relationship, a death, a divorce, a hurt or a past decision that they keep going back to. Day in and day out the past is impacting their present and their future. I have always heard insanity is the doing same over and over expecting different results.
God tells us in the scripture today that we need to forget what lies behind us and strain forward to lies ahead. Now I agree that saying it can be easier than actually doing it. If we are Christians, trusting The Lord is the way to move forward. We can have confidence that God is faithful to His promises. Today’s scripture says we are to press on for the prize. Not just any prize but a prize that God has for us.
Here are a few ways to put one step in front of the other to get to the prize:
- Focus on reading the word of God. It is amazing how God’s word can be the best medicine for what ales you. I encourage you to read a chapter in Psalm and a chapter in Proverbs every day. These books of the Bible are encouraging and packed with much wisdom about life.
- Seek out someone who has been a Christian for a long time. Not one who just goes to church, but one who studies the word of God and can advise you on the what God says about what you are going through.
- Understand and believe that when you are weak, God is strong for you. How do you believe this? Through prayer. The more you pray, the more God will reveal His strength to you. You will begin to see that you are stronger than you ever imagined.
- Set baby goals and an action plan on how achieve them. Maybe your goal is to stop talking about…… Your action plan could be to find a positive scripture that you can memorize and recite or read when you begin to talk about …….. You could write it down in a journal instead of talking about it and end with writing something positive. As you begin to focus on the future and you can check off items on your action plan you will begin to see the future more.
- Lastly, seek counseling. Too many people let pride or money stop them from seeking out help to move forward. I do not understand why church people do not take advantage of the wise counsel in their churches. The pastor and his wife are two free resources that are not often used. I have actually heard people say they would never go to their pastor because they did not want him to know they had issues. REALLY!?! That is why he is there. He wants to serve you and so does his wife.
What is holding you back from running straight toward the goal to win the prize that God has for you? I am praying for you and believe in you. With Jesus YOU ARE UNSTOPPABLE!!