1 Timothy 5:8 Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.
The current political debate is whether families should be separated who have illegally crossed into the USA. Months from now it will be off the hot plate and something else will divide Americans once again.
Most Christians would say that God loves the family. All throughout Scripture, God has given families task of rearing children in the Lord. Husbands and wives are commanded to be faithful to one another, and children to their parents. The thing that I love so much about God and His word is that when he ask us to do something, He gives us all the instructions on how to do it.
Here a few things, that I think, are biblical instructions on how to keep our families together and if followed will bring many blessings upon our family. (in no particular order)
- Teach your children about God and His word every day. Deuteronomy 11:18-20 You shall therefore impress these words of mine on your heart and on your soul; and you shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. You shall teach them to your sons, talking of them when you sit in your house and when you walk along the road and when you lie down and when you rise up.“You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
- Teach your children to obey their parents. Ephesians 6:1-2 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Honor your father and your mother(which is the first commandment with a promise), so that may be well with you, and that you may life long on the earth.
- Teach your children to have a healthy fear of purposely disobeying The Lord. Proverbs 1:7-9 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction. Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction and do not forsake your mother’s teaching. They are a garland to grace your head and a chain to adorn your neck.
- Treat your children justly, fairly and respectfully. Ephesians 6:4 Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction that comes from the Lord.
- Teach your children to obey the law of the land. Romans 13: 1-5 Obey the government, for God is the one who has put it there. There is no government anywhere that God has not placed in power. So those who refuse to obey the laws of the land are refusing to obey God, and punishment will follow. For the policeman does not frighten people who are doing right; but those doing evil will always fear him. So if you don’t want to be afraid, keep the laws and you will get along well. The policeman is sent by God to help you. But if you are doing something wrong, of course you should be afraid, for he will have you punished. He is sent by God for that very purpose. Obey the laws, then, for two reasons: first, to keep from being punished, and second, just because you know you should.
- Teach your children about marriage by living your marriage as God has ask us to. Ephesians 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, Ephesians 5: 22Wives, place yourselves under your husbands’ authority as you have placed yourselves under the Lord’s authority, Stay away from porn and refrain from having an affair:1 Corinthians 6:18 Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body.
- Teach your children to have good work ethic. Colossians 3:23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, and 2 Thessalonians 3:10 While we were with you, we gave you the order: “Whoever doesn’t want to work shouldn’t be allowed to eat.”
- Teach them to be financially responsible and give tithes and offerings. Proverbs 22:7 The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender, and
Proverbs 3:9-10 Honor the LORD with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine.
- Teach your children that church and serving at your church are important to God and to you also. Hebrews 10:25 Let us not neglect meeting together, as some have made a habit, but let us encourage one another, and all the more as you see the Day approaching and 1 Peter 4:10 As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace:
Teach your children to respect and obey those who have authority over them such as pastors, teachers, police officers, adults etc Hebrews 13:17 Obey your leaders, and accept their authority. They take care of you because they are responsible for you. Obey them so that they may do this work joyfully and not complain about you. (Causing them to complain would not be to your advantage.)
I believe this is how we keep families together. When we stray from Gods plan for families we begin to allow satan to have his will and his way in our lives and to cause chaos and disunity. I will not join in on the debate about what we should do with the illegal immigrants in the USA because I think we should focus on cleaning up and tightening up our own families and be the example to others. Even Christians can’t agree on these 10 things, all supported by the Bible, so how do we expect them to agree on this new hot issue facing Americans.
What do you think???